With the last two posts of the semester, I wanted to discuss some of the main learning points that I can pull from my experiences in this class.
Collaboration
I believe one of the most essential tools I learned this semester is the power of collaboration. From the first lectures in this class, collaboration was encouraged as a way for students to teach and learn from each other. Through social media platforms like Google blogger, Twitter, and YouTube, students were able to connect even outside of the classroom. Via blog posts, discussions, and virtual connectivity, students could provide feedback and crucial information to their peers in-between lectures. Collaboration was taken to new heights within this 190G class in a few different ways:
- classroom discussion and engagement
- social media connection and peer commenting
- student-run lectures and ability to provide input for homework assignments
Creativity
Creativity was the second concept that this class really encouraged through its unconventional nature. With no midterm or final, Tal had to be creative in the assignments he gave to us as the students. However, the creativity didn't stop there. Students were encouraged to teach the class, come up with their own assignments (especially for the three-unit students), and were given free range to tweet at their discretion. This class taught me that our creativity as students does not need to be limited to the differentiation of our comments within the classroom; rather, our creativity shines through the additional work we do, projects we research, and effort we put into our blogs/homework.
Thanks so much for reading my first analysis on key takeaways from this course. Hope you enjoyed it, and looking forward to reading your comments!
Best,
Anish


Hi Anish,
ReplyDeleteGreat post! You touched on two points that are the core of benefits one can receive from learning through social media, collaboration and creativity. I have found that most classes at Berkeley don't have a big focus on discussions and collaboration and that this class was really helpful in promoting that through the different comments we make on other people's blogs. On the topic of creativity, we had a lot of freedom in deciding what we wanted to blog and post about. I had a lot of fun reading the perspectives of other students.