This week's assignment was to discuss some silly patents that are stupid, crazy, and/or funny. In this blog post, I will be describing the patent, explain its details, and providing an analysis of the patent
based upon validity, anticipation, prior art, obviousness, or potential infringement as we discussed in class.
Patent 6637447: Beerbrella
This invention allows for a beverage container to be shaded via a small umbrella, referred to as a "beerbrella." Direct exposure of beer to the sunlight results in warm drinks that are not optimal for drinking. Thus, the beerbrella incorporates a five to seven inch design that can help shade the beer. With regards to advertising, companies and organizations can print logos and designs on the beerbrella surface in order to promote themselves. In addition, the beerbrella is attached to the beer via straps, foam insulators, clips, or coasters. The umbrella also includes a pivot in the shaft to allow for optimal angling in order to protect from the sun.
In my opinion, this is one of the most creative and hilarious patents I have ever seen. I believe the value with this product lies with its comical nature rather than its functionality. Other inventions like insulating sleeves protectors appear to be more practical and effective; however, the funny nature of the beerbrella allows for a more unconventional protective apparatus. I would consider this invention novel due to its limited anticipation; however, I would not consider the beerbrella to be non-obvious because similar products like insulating sleeves are used for similar purposes.
Conclusively, I believe this is a creative patent that many people would purchase as a joke gift for friends or family. Although it is not the most functional of products, I believe it does hold some value. Looking forward to reading your thoughts and feedback on this post!
Best,
Anish

Great job on this post! I like how you touched on both where it is valid and possibly where it is less valid. I definitely agree that much of the value lies in its silliness.
ReplyDelete